Jews in Denmark

The first Jews Settled in Altona (a Danish city until 1864) in 1584.
In 1641 the first shul was built.
At about this time the first Jew, Dr Jonah Charizi, moved to Copenhagen, he died in 1626.
In 1684 Israel David and Meyer Goldschmidt received royal permission to have Minyanim (services) in their homes.
The growth of the community was quite slow, and by 1726 there were 65 Jewish families (331 persons).
In 1787 there were about 250 families (some 1,200 people).
In 1813 there was an attempt to have anti Jewish laws established, but to no avail.

On March 29 1814 a royal decree was issued giving Jews Equal Rights.
In 1833 the Main Synagogue in Krystalgade was dedicated.
At the turn of the century there was a large immigration of Eastern European Jews, fleeing from the persecution in Russia.
In 1910 the Machzikie Hadas Synagogue was founded.
Between 1933 and 1940 approximately 4,500 refugees passed through Denmark on their way to Israel.

In 1940 Denmark was occupied but there were no anti Jewish activities until 1943.
As the German army attempted to round up the Jews they were rescued by the Danish people, who heroically mobilized and managed to move all (besides some 500 that were captured) to safety in Sweden.
In 1969 about 2000 Jews from Poland joined the community.

To date there are about 6000 Jews in Copenhagen and a few hundred in Århus and others scattered around.
There are two synagogues, The large main one at Krystalgade and the smaller Machzikie Hadas.
There is a Jewish school with about 180 children.
There is a Jewish Community Center.
There is a Kosher food and meat shop.


There is a Chabad House with ongoing activities including:

Weekly classes on Parshat hashavua, Talmud, philosophy and discussion groups on Jewish Issues.
There is a Cheder for children whom would like to supplement their Jewish Education
There are summer and winter overnight camps for children.

Feel free to contact us for more information